Finally my son has gone to sleep and I can get some of my writing done. I have really missed writing about my cooking adventures and now that I’m not tired and the house is quiet, I can retrace my foot steps and share one my recent experiences.
A couple of weeks ago, I had the privilege of making dinner for some friends of ours and I had some cheese sauce that was left over from the macaroni & cheese I made. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it, but my mom suggested some broccoli & cheese soup. So a few days later with my nephews and niece over, I attempted to prepare the soup in between carving a pumpkin. This was my first time carving and I had a blast, plus it was easy to do.
So as we are carving, my soup was slowly bubbling on the stove and since I didn’t have to do much with it, I was able to enjoy this new experience. I returned back to the kitchen and added the broccoli, turned off the stove and let the broccoli tenderly cook in the cheese soup.
This soup is perfect for the cold weather coming this weekend and will bring the coziness to your home.
Broccoli & Cheese Soup
1/4 cup of melted butter
1 small chopped onion
1/4 cup of flour
2 cups of whole milk or half and half
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
8 ounces of fresh broccoli
8 ounces of American cheese or shredded sharp cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute chopped onion in butter.
2. Add flour and whisk over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir continually and add the milk or half and half.
3. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Add the broccoli and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes.
5. Stir in the salt, pepper, and cheese; continue to cooking over low heat until the cheese is completely melted.